Well, I’ve had lots of time to experiment with new variations of recipes these days! I was looking for a new recipe using sausage on Pinterest and I found a vegan recipe that I thought I could modify. This one is definitely not vegan as it uses sausage from my monthly meat delivery from Walden Local Meat.
1 cup uncooked quinoa
2 cups of vegetable or chicken broth
1 onion, diced
1 TBS minced garlic
1 lb of mild or hot Italian sausage, removed from casings
1-15oz can of Fire Roasted Tomatoes
6oz of baby spinach
1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Add uncooked quinoa to a saucepan ove medium heat and stir for 2 minutes to toast.
- Add broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for 15 minutes until broth has been soaked up by the quinoa. Remove from heat and set aside.
- While the quinoa is cooking, place sausage in large sauce pan and cook until no longer pink, crumbling it up as it cooks. Once no longer pink remove from pan and cover.
- Place onions and garlic in the same pan and cook until onions have softened.
- Add tomatoes, Italian seasoning and sausage.
- Gradually add the spinach until it has wilted and blended into the mixture.
- Pour the cooked quinoa into the pan and cook another 2-3 minutes.
*MACROS: I counted this as 5 servings = 31 carbs, 15 fat and 24 protein.