WOW! I’m on a roll. Two days in a row of new recipes. It’s not a streak that will go beyond today though. Tomorrow will be a big clean out the fridge day of leftovers before we head out of town Thursday. I think this weekend is our last big hoorah for summer. We may be able to make it to VT over Labor Day weekend for 1-2 nights, but it will be a last minute call based on our 16yo’s soccer tryouts. Don’t you love how sports activities are planned in a way that holds the whole family hostage. Grr…
Anyway, this recipe was inspired by this one. When I looked at the picture I thought you could easily substitute the rice for cauliflower rice and reduce the carb content substantially. In addition, I made a few other modifications like cajun spice mix rather than salsa and olive oil rather than butter.
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced green peppers
- 14oz can of diced tomatoes
- 3 cups cauliflower rice
- 1 TBS cajun spice blend
- 1/2 cup of low sodium chicken broth
*Add grilled traditional or turkey kielbasa and/or shrimp
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and swirl to coat. Add onions, peppers and celery and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally until vegetables become tender.
- Add tomatoes, cauliflower rice, spice blend and chicken broth.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally until majority of broth has evaporated and cauliflower rice has softened.
- Serve with protein of choice.