I made a new recipe last night worth sharing. It is both Paleo and Gluten Free. I had originally planned to make this recipe for Bacon & Sausage Braised Cabbage because I had some bacon in the freezer I needed to use. Funny that in the end I didn’t even end up using the bacon! 😉
In addition to excluding the bacon, I made a few other modifications. I decided to use sweet italian chicken sausage in casings rather than the precooked links she used in her version. Good decision I think! Also, because I used chicken sausage I used chicken broth rather than beef, pre-shredded cabbage (big time saver!) and minced garlic rather than powder. I only decided to omit the bacon once I loaded the recipe into My Fitness Pal and realized the impact to my available fat grams for the day combined with the sausage if I included it. So, no bacon!
- Remove the sausage from casings into a dutch oven over medium heat, crumbling and breaking the sausage apart as it cooks.
- When the sausage is nearly cooked (no longer pink), add garlic and onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, until translucent.
- Add cabbage, broth and bay leaves and mix. Cover, reduce heat and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove cover, pour off excess water from cabbage reduction, recover and cook for another 15 minutes, stirring every couple minutes to keep from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
I calculated this as 3 servings in My Fitness Pal which per serving yielded 296 calories, 19 grams of carbs, 8 grams of fat and a whopping 37 grams of protein!