Last week I created a new recipe for Mexican Chicken & Rice worth sharing inspired by this one. I made some modifications that resulted in a really quick and easy meal for one of those busy mid-week evenings. However, in order for it to be speedy to put together you need to either purchase frozen cooked brown rice or have made the rice beforehand. Let’s face it, making rice isn’t quick, right? I had made rice a day or two prior for another recipe and made extra to set aside for this.
Serving options: You can enjoy in a bowl, over mixed greens as a taco salad or wrapped up in a burrito!
2 cups of cooked brown rice
1 rotisserie chicken, meat removed and shredded
1 TBS chili powder
1 TBS cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1 jar of Green Mountain Gringo salsa (or approximately 2 cups of your favorite brand)
1 cup of full fat coconut milk
1/2 cup of shredded mexican cheese
Additional add-ins: You can add a can of black beans and/or 1 cup of corn.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the spices, salsa and coconut milk and mix together.
- Add the rice and chicken and blend together.
- Pour the mixture into a 9×12 baking dish.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes until heated through and cheese has melted.