This recipe originated from Cooking Light magazine. The recipe below reflects my modifications.
- 1TBS olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 8 oz (or 2 links in casing) of sweet italian chicken sausage
- 2 cups of quartered zucchini
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 cups baby kale (or spinach) leaves
- 1/2 cup of vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 (16 oz) cans of white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 oz) can of diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp of dried thyme
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to tasted
*Heat oil in large saute pan over medium heat.
*Saute diced onions and sausage (removed from casings) until onions are translucent and sausage is browned.
*Add zucchini and garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
*Add remaining ingredients, stir, bring to boil.
*Reduce heat, cover and simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes (until thoroughly heated and zucchini cooked to your desired tenderness).
*I served this with brown rice and green beans.