I’m loving the substitution of cauliflower “rice” for rice in recipes. Last week I tried the switch with stuffed peppers and liked the results which inspired me to try it again. While keeping the same volume of food, you significantly reduce the carbohydrate content, minimize the spike in insulin and increase the nutrients. This swap may also make a recipe Paleo if that is important to you (depending on the other ingredients involved).
This recipe idea was sparked by this one: Italian Sausage & Rice Bake.
16 oz mild Italian pork sausage (approximately 4 links)
10 oz or 2 red bell pepper, diced
5 ounce or one yellow onion, diced
16 oz riced cauliflower
1-15 oz can Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
1/2 cup organic low sodium chicken broth
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 TBS dried basil
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (exclude or reduce this if you don’t care for spicy)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Remove the sausage from casings and place in large skillet.
- Cook over medium heat, crumbling the meat with spatula until no longer pink.
- Remove meat from skillet and place in large bowl.
- Add the diced peppers, onions and garlic stir to coat with remaining oil in pan from sausage. Cook over medium heat until vegetables become tender and add to sausage bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients to bowl, stir and pour into large baking dish.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes.
Macro info: I calculated this as 6 servings which yields 216 calories with 10g carbs, 11g fat and 16g protein per serving.