I was inspired to create this new recipe after a discussion with a fellow CrossFitter last week. We were sharing recipe ideas for the 4-week Paleo challenge I’m facilitating and participating in at Reebok CrossFit Medfield and she told me about a similar recipe. Her version layered sweet potato, sausage and eggs. I thought the eggs provided plenty of protein and that you can always use more vegetables. 😉 So I opted for sweet bell pepper and onions instead. I was really happy with how it turned out. The sweet potato provided a nice sweetness and the peppers a lot of flavor AND it was really easy and quick to make.
My 10yo really liked it too. I’m sure if my 13yo was home she would have turned her nose up, BUT that’s nothing new… 😉
1/2 sweet red pepper, diced
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 TBS olive or coconut oil
1 large sweet potato, peeled and sliced thin
8 eggs, beaten
salt and pepper to taste
*This recipe can include any vegetable, cheese or meat options you would enjoy.
source url Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350
- Peel the sweet potato and slice thin using a food processor or mandolin.
- Lightly spray a quiche or pie plate and layer the sweet potato slices across the bottom covering the plate. Bake for 20 minutes.
- While the potatoes are in the oven, heat olive oil in skillet over medium to medium low heat and sauté the diced peppers and onions, stirring occasionally.
- After 20 minutes remove pan from oven and increase the oven temp to 375.
- Layer the sautéed peppers and onions across the sweet potato slices.
- Beat the eggs (add salt and pepper if you desire) and pour over the top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until eggs are cooked.