This is a fun new recipe I first heard of from my good pal Debra’s blog last week. The original recipe was vegetarian. We tried it out tonight with a few changes. As you know, I rarely follow the original recipe. 🙂 I included my recipe below, but at a high level, we aren’t big fans of shrooms at our house so we skipped those and I added chicken too. It was fairly quick to make too.
Here are the adaptations I made:
- 2 pounds zucchini spiralized or julienned
- 2-3 boneless, skinless breasts of chicken
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers cut into thin slices
- 1 sweet onion cut into thin slices
- 1 TBS minced garlic
- 1 Teaspoon cumin
- 1 Teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spiralize your zucchini using a Veggetti (or similar tool), put them in a microwaveable covered dish and heat on high for 2-3 minutes then drain in strainer.
- Cut and slice the bell peppers and onion.
- Cube the chicken breasts.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat with 1 TBS olive oil, add chicken and cook until it’s no longer pink in center. Remove from pan leaving the juice , set aside in a bowl and cover.
- Add the second TBS of olive oil to pan, onions and bell pepper. Sauté until the veggies have softened,
- Add garlic and all the spices.
- Add the zucchini noodles and chicken, mix and simmer for another 2-3 minutes until heated.
TIME SAVER TIP: Prepare the vegetables the night before and store in refrigerator.