here *Preparation tip: The set up took approx. 30 min. to get everything into the crock pot to begin cooking. I suggest you make this meal when you have 30 min. mid-day, but know you won’t have time in the evening.
- 1-2 lbs. of skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 lb Italian sausage links (I recommend the spicy version for a little more kick.)
- 2 large onions, minced
- 1 TBS minced garlic
- 2 TBS tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes *If you don’t use the spicy sausage*
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3-4 cups low-sodium chicken broth (enough to cover the mixture in the crock pot)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 (15-oz) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (white beans)
- 8 oz frozen spinach
- Add the chicken to the bottom of crock pot.
- Remove the sausage from the casings.
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat, brown the sausage and add to the slow cooker with the chicken.
- Pour off any excess fat from the skillet, and add the onions. Cook, stirring often, until softened and lightly browned, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, tomato paste, thyme, red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the flour and cook and slowly whisk in the wine, scraping up any browned bits from the pan.
- Whisk in 1 cup of the broth, whisking to smooth out any lumps. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Stir in the remaining 2 cups of broth, the bay leaves, and the cannellini beans.
- Cover and cook until the chicken and sausage are cooked through, 6-8 hours on low (or 3-4 hours on high).
- Stir in the spinach, cover and cook another 5-10 minutes until spinach is no longer frozen and heated.