This is a recipe I adapted from Cooking Light magazine. I like this recipe because it’s “Family Friendly” in that I can serve it over pasta for the rest of the crew while I can have it over wilted greens or spaghetti squash AND you can sneak the eggplant in with little complaint. 🙂
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 3-4 cups chopped eggplant
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup small fresh basil leaves
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven or deep saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and saute until translucent
- Add ground turkey, salt and pepper and cook 10 minutes or until meat is browned, stirring to crumble.
- Add eggplant, garlic and cook 20 minutes or until eggplant is very tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomato paste; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add wine; cook 1 minute, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
- Add tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add basil and red wine vinegar.